Join Yeuda Ben-Atar for an in-depth discussion in this video Comparing Push 1 and Push 2, part of Ableton Push: Making Music.
- [Voiceover] You might be a Push 1 user,…or maybe you were thinking about getting a Push 2…but were wondering if Push 1 might be enough for your needs.…Let's compare the two units to give you a clear…overview of the differences between the two.…First, the build.…The first Push unit was designed by Ableton,…but it is manufactured by Akai Professional.…The Push 2 is designed and manufactured by Ableton,…and you can even see the entire Push 2…development and design team signatures…if you open up the Push 2 case,…although I would not recommend doing it…unless you know how to put it back together.…
The Push 2 is slightly wider and longer than the Push 1.…The buttons and the pads are also much flatter.…The display is one of the biggest updates from Push 1.…It is now a full LED display that can practically…display anything, compared to the old Push,…which was limited to only alphanumeric characters.…The new display is sharp and looks…beautiful even in a bright room.…
It is also bigger than the first Push's display,…
First, Yeuda demystifies the many trigger pads, knobs, and buttons on the Push and shows how to map the device to Ableton Live. Next, learn to browse and load sounds and create drumbeats with the step sequencer. Humanize the sound of these beats by changing individual note velocity, length, and position and adding in quantization and swing. Then, learn to play Push like a pitched instrument, and use it to remotely control a Live set and Live devices. Along the way, Yeuda offers valuable lessons about basic music theory—concepts like notes, chords, scales, and time signature—that will make your experience with Push more rewarding.
- What is Ableton Push?
- What's new in the Push 2?
- Comparing Push 1 and Push 2
- Browsing and loading sounds
- Programming beats
- Recording drums in real time
- Adding quantization and swing
- Controlling the mixer
- Controlling Live devices
- Adding custom LED feedback
- Step sequencing melodies
- Browsing and loading third-party plugins
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Q: This course was updated on 04/29/2016. What changed?
A: Ableton released the new Push controller, Push 2. We added eight tutorials covering the new hardware and its integration with Ableton Live 9.5.