Join Josh Harris for an in-depth discussion in this video Calculating the BPM and tempo of the original track, part of Remixing Techniques: Time Stretching.
Now it's time to calculate the BPM of the original track.…Let's import the original version of the song which is called Breakdown Mode by Iyeoka.…I open up the Audio bin by using the B key and underneath the Audio File…pulldown menu I select Iyeoka > Breakdown Mode. It's the original MP3.…Add it to the Audio Bin, click Done, and Logic will convert the MP3 to an AIFF.…As you can see, and it's creating a waveform overview.…
Drag the original out onto the Arrange window, close the Audio Bin, mute out my…kick drum and contract the screen a little bit.…I'll select the track that has the original mix on it, a Breakdown Mode and in…my Plug-In menu select BPM Counter.…So Logic's BPM Counter will now calculate the BPM of the original.…And just to take a closer look at the waveform I'll increase my waveform view.…So let's take a listen to the original version of Breakdown Mode and watch…Logic's BPM Counter do its thing.…
(music playing)…Immediately, it went to 1:48 BMP, and then it shifted to 147.9. So in my mind I…
- What is time stretching or expanding?
- Understanding how time stretching fits into the remixing process
- Working in Pro Tools, Logic Pro, Ableton Live, or Reason
- Calculating the tempo of the original track
- Dealing with wet vocal stems
- Importing vocals with the 10% time-stretch rule
- Comparing time-stretched vocals at faster tempos
- Putting a time-stretched vocal in context
- Setting up a session for double-timing a vocal
- Creating a 4/4 remix from a song originally in 3/4 or 6/8
- Tightening up a vocal that drifts from the click track
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Time-Stretching Basics
2. Tools of the Trade
3. Technique 1: Speeding Up Vocals
4. Technique 2: Slowing Down and Double Timing Vocals
5. Technique 3: Creating a Composite Vocal from Multiple Time Stretches
6. Technique 4: Transforming a 3/4 or 6/8 Vocal into 4/4
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.