Join Jess Chadwick for an in-depth discussion in this video Understand routing, part of Learn ASP.NET Core MVC: The Basics.
- [Narrator] Earlier in the course,…I introduced you to the basic concepts of routing…by showing how a URL maps to an action method…on a controller class and even how to extract…action method parameters from values in the URL.…If you thought that was powerful,…that's just the beginning of what routing can do.…I mentioned previously that all of this routing magic…is defined in the call to add MVC to register…the ASP.NET Core MVC middle ware in the start up class…in the form of a route template.…
A pattern that maps URLs to controllers…and actions using named placeholders.…You can register as many routes as you want…but it's this one route template that is…generic enough to map a URL to just about any…controller and action that I can create.…Once it maps those parts of the URL…to those placeholders, it tries to find…the controller and action that match those placeholders.…This is where the name of the controller class…becomes significant.…
By default, ASP.NET Core MVC follows the convention…that all controller classes need to end…
- Building blocks of ASP.NET Core applications
- Creating a new project
- Responding to HTTP requests
- Serving static files
- Understanding the MVC pattern
- Handling requests with controllers
- Rendering HTML with Razor
- Rendering data, view markup, and view logic
- Creating HTML forms
- Validating form data
- Reading and writing from a database with Entity Framework
- Improving the user experience
- Exposing data with a web API
- Securing your ASP.NET application
Skill Level Intermediate
1. The Basics
2. The Model-View-Controller (MVC) Pattern
Understand routing4m 24s
3. Render HTML with Views
4. Work with Data
5. Improve User Experience with Ajax and Web APIs
6. Secure Your Application
Next steps1m 42s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.