Join Jess Chadwick for an in-depth discussion in this video Solution, part of Learning ASP.NET Core MVC.
- [Instructor] The solution to this challenge…may not have been obvious given what I've…have shown you in this chapter,…but I have shown you everything you needed to know…in order to complete it.…The key to this solution is that…since layouts are just razor views themselves,…that means that razor layouts can have…their own layouts.…Here's how I completed the challenge.…I started by modifying the main layout…that we already had to make the left-hand section optional…using the same exact approach…that I used for the header section of the site.…
Now any view that uses this layout…can control what is shown in…the secondary content section…including making it entirely empty.…But I didn't stop there.…Next I created a new empty layout…in the shared folder so that all of the pages…in this site can access it.…I named this layout _SimpleLayout,…then and here's the key part,…since layouts are just views,…I can set the layout property to use the main layout…just like any of the other views like this.…
Then I can define an empty secondary section…
- Building blocks of ASP.NET Core applications
- Creating a new project
- Responding to HTTP requests
- Serving static files
- Understanding the MVC pattern
- Handling requests with controllers
- Rendering HTML with Razor
- Rendering data, view markup, and view logic
- Creating HTML forms
- Validating form data
- Reading and writing from a database with Entity Framework
- Improving the user experience
- Exposing data with a web API
- Securing your ASP.NET application
Skill Level Intermediate
1. The Basics
2. The Model-View-Controller (MVC) Pattern
Understand routing4m 24s
3. Render HTML with Views
4. Work with Data
5. Improve User Experience with Ajax and Web APIs
6. Secure Your Application
Next steps1m 42s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.