Join Jess Chadwick for an in-depth discussion in this video Executing code before every page, part of ASP.NET Core: Razor Pages.
- [Narrator] In addition to using sections…and view data properties to enable pages…to easily integrate with the layout,…there is one more technique that's really helpful…when applying layouts, or any other kind of shared code,…to every page in your site.…It comes in the form of two special files…called ViewStart and ViewImports.…Both of these files use the Razor syntax…to execute code prior to your pages running,…but they each work in slightly different ways.…
Let's start with ViewStart.…To create this page you can open the new item dialog…on the pages folder,…then go to the web category underneath…the ASP.NET Core category,…and look for the file template called…MVC View Start Page.…The MVC part of the name is a little misleading,…but it's called that because the ViewStart functionality…is actually a feature of the MVC framework…that Razor Pages is built on top of.…Regardless of the name, that's the one we want,…so select it and then leave the file name,…_ViewStart.cshtml, alone.…
The ViewStart page only works if the file…
- Creating a new application
- Setting up pages
- Rendering dynamic content
- Reusing markup with layouts
- Increasing the maintainability of pages
- Processing data
- Validating input
- Securing an application
Skill Level Intermediate
Deploying ASP.NET Core Applicationswith Nate Barbettini57m 57s Intermediate
Building Web APIs with ASP.NET Corewith Chris Woodruff1h 7m Intermediate
ASP.NET Core: Test-Driven Developmentwith Richard Rout37m 30s Intermediate
1. Razor Pages Intro
What is Razor Pages?3m 5s
2. Razor Pages Basics
3. Reusing Markup with Layouts
4. Building Maintainable Applications
5. Working with Data
6. Validating User Inputs and Securing Your Application from Unauthorized Users
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.