Is JSON a good choice for a RESTful API? What are the best practices for designing a REST+JSON API that embraces HATEOAS? Explore a number of common design specs and examine their pros and cons.
- [Instructor] The principles of REST…and HATEOAS are format agnostic.…In other words, a RESTful API could return XML, HTML, JSON,…or something else entirely.…JSON has increasingly become a popular response format…for APIs on the web.…Let's take a closer look at the advantages…and disadvantages of JSON…and discuss how to properly craft a RESTful JSON API.…One of the biggest reasons why JSON…has eclipsed XML in popularity is that it's lightweight…and easy for humans to read.…It's also easy for machines to read…because it doesn't require a heavy XML parsing engine.…
That means it's easy to find support for reading…and writing JSON on almost any platform across the web,…plus desktop and mobile devices.…On the other hand,…because JSON doesn't have a built-in way to enforce…or even define a document schema, it's much looser than XML.…There's no standard way of defining document metadata…or guaranteeing clients a particular document structure.…To remove this disadvantage,…it's a good practice to adopt a standardized schema…
- What is RESTful design?
- Building a new API with ASP.NET Core
- Using HTTP methods
- Returning JSON
- Creating RESTful routing with templates
- Securing RESTful APIs with HTTPS
- Representing resources
- Representing links
- Representing collections
- Sorting and searching collections
- Building forms
- Adding caching to an ASP.NET Core API
- Configuring user authentication and authorization
Skill Level Advanced
1. REST API Concepts
2. Build a Basic API
3. Versioning and Errors
4. Secure the API
5. Represent Resources
6. Represent Links
7. Represent Collections
Add pagination7m 37s
8. Sorting Collections
9. Searching Collections
10. Forms and Modifying Data
11. Caching and Compression
12. Authentication and Authorization
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.