Learn how to validate the incoming paging options, and use the ASP.NET Core configuration and dependency injection system to add paging defaults to collections.
- [Instructor] The client should be able to omit…the offset or limit parameters…when they retrieve a collection.…Right now, if those parameters are omitted,…the API will throw an exception.…We can add some default values to fall back on…if one or both of those parameters are missing.…To add some paging defaults,…let's jump over to appsettings.json first.…In appsettings.json,…at the bottom here let's say...…We'll add a property called DefaultPagingOptions.…
And in here we'll say the default limit…is 25 items,…and the default offset…is zero.…Over in Startup.cs, let's pull this data…into an instance of PagingOptions.…Say services.Configure PagingOptions,…and we'll pull this from Configuration….GetSection…DefaultPagingOptions.…
Now over in the RoomsController,…we'll hold onto a private PagingOptions…called DefaultPagingOptions,…and we'll inject this as an Ioptions…from the options namespace.…It'll be an Ioptions of PagingOptions,…and when we inject it we'll say…defaultPagingOptions equals…defaultPagingOptions….Value.…
Just to be consistent, let me call this…
- What is RESTful design?
- Building a new API with ASP.NET Core
- Using HTTP methods
- Returning JSON
- Creating RESTful routing with templates
- Securing RESTful APIs with HTTPS
- Representing resources
- Representing links
- Representing collections
- Sorting and searching collections
- Building forms
- Adding caching to an ASP.NET Core API
- Configuring user authentication and authorization
Skill Level Advanced
1. REST API Concepts
2. Build a Basic API
3. Versioning and Errors
4. Secure the API
5. Represent Resources
6. Represent Links
7. Represent Collections
Add pagination7m 37s
8. Sorting Collections
9. Searching Collections
10. Forms and Modifying Data
11. Caching and Compression
12. Authentication and Authorization
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.