Join Brian Bradley for an in-depth discussion in this video The substance settings dialogue, part of 3ds Max: Substance to Arnold.
- [Instructor] Something else that we now get inside 3ds Max…with the new substance plug-in installed,…is a substance menu, that amongst other things,…gives us access to the substance settings dialogue.…Inside of which, we can set up and control…a number of the default options that will be used…by the substance engine each and every time…we load a substance archive into 3ds Max.…For instance, we can choose whether the engine computes…using the GPU or CPU engines by default.…With GPU being the faster, but…in some situations, less stable option.…
I.e. If we have a graphics card that has…a very limited amount of onboard video memory.…If we make a change here, we will need…to restart 3ds Max for that to initialize…as the warning message is now telling us.…Something else that we can control here,…is the default import resolution…for our substance materials.…Now of course, the setting that we decide to use here…will depend quite a bit on the…type of work that we regularly do.…So, if we are developing 3D assets…for mobile gaming, for example,…
- Why should we use substances?
- Choosing a substance workflow
- Using Bitmap2Material in 3ds Max
- Building up your material
- Working with substances and maps from the Designer application
- Using a substance with Arnold
- Improving your substance results
- Exporting your map types
Skill Level Intermediate
Substance Painter Essential Trainingwith Wes McDermott5h 55m Intermediate
3ds Max 2018 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 10m Beginner
1. An Overview of the Substance Toolset
2. Using Bitmap2Material inside 3ds Max
3. Working with Substances from the Designer Application
4. Working with Maps from the Designer Application
5. Working with Maps from the Painter Application
Next steps1m 25s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.