Join Joel Bradley for an in-depth discussion in this video XYZ to UVW method, part of 3ds Max 2018: Mastering UVW Mapping.
- [Narrator] Having explored a number…of mapping options that can help us deal…with the problem of animated geometry…swimming through procedural maps,…we are going to take a look in this exercise…at perhaps the most bulletproof approach of all,…using an option that can be found…on the UVW map modifier.…Not only will this give us a work around…when using deformation rather than transformation…based animation on our geometry,…but will also help bypass the problem…of having to rescale all the procedural maps…in a scene as was the case when using…the explicit map channel approach…looked at in the previous exercise.…
To get started then, we will of course…need to apply a UVW map modifier…to at least the deforming portions of our geometry,…although in this instance, just to help make things…both easier and quicker, I'm going to go ahead…and select all of the robot geometry,…and apply the modifier to that instead.…Now, it does need to be said that in order…to follow on from our previous exercise,…using exactly the same scene file,…
Instructor Joel Bradley explains what UVWs are, how they affect textures, and why they are needed. He also reviews the different mapping spaces that are available and how procedural maps are used in texturing. Then he progresses to the hands-on portion of the course, starting with mapping simple shapes and models with the UVW modifier. He also reviews advanced topics, such as unwrapping and editing UVs with the UVW Editor. Finally, he introduces blended box mapping, for when you need to get a model ready for texturing quickly.
- UVW coordinates
- UV space
- Working with the UVW Map modifier and UVW gizmo
- World space vs. object space
- Peel mapping and pelt mapping
- Reshaping UV elements
- Smoothing and relaxing UVs
- Rendering UV layouts
- Blending seams with the Blended Box Map
Skill Level Intermediate
3ds Max 2018 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 10m Beginner
1. UV Mapping Basics
2. UV Mapping Options
3. Unwrap UVW Controls
4. The UVW Editor
5. Blended Box Mapping
Next steps1m 34s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.