Join Joel Bradley for an in-depth discussion in this video Working in world space, part of 3ds Max 2018: Mastering UVW Mapping.
- [Instructor] When it comes to applying…textures to geometry in our scenes,…there are probably dozens, if not hundreds,…of usage scenarios in place today…each of them requiring a particular workflow…and approach in order to be successful.…When UVW mapping for instance, there are…some very distinct differences between making…use of maps in static or still renders…as compared to animated sequences.…Further to that, there are also distinct…differences between the options that can be used…when transforming as compared to deforming…meshes in animations all of which we need to understand…and so we will take a look at over…the course of this chapter.…
In the version of the test scene…that we are working with here,…if I just open up the Material Editor…you can see that our robot geometry…has had a procedural noise map applied…as a diffuse texture which is indeed a valid way…to create a diffuse color map.…Oftentimes though, artists will use…procedural maps such as this as a way…to add break up and variation to a material.…
Instructor Joel Bradley explains what UVWs are, how they affect textures, and why they are needed. He also reviews the different mapping spaces that are available and how procedural maps are used in texturing. Then he progresses to the hands-on portion of the course, starting with mapping simple shapes and models with the UVW modifier. He also reviews advanced topics, such as unwrapping and editing UVs with the UVW Editor. Finally, he introduces blended box mapping, for when you need to get a model ready for texturing quickly.
- UVW coordinates
- UV space
- Working with the UVW Map modifier and UVW gizmo
- World space vs. object space
- Peel mapping and pelt mapping
- Reshaping UV elements
- Smoothing and relaxing UVs
- Rendering UV layouts
- Blending seams with the Blended Box Map
Skill Level Intermediate
3ds Max 2018 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 10m Beginner
3ds Max 2017: Advanced Materialswith Aaron F. Ross2h 34m Intermediate
1. UV Mapping Basics
2. UV Mapping Options
3. Unwrap UVW Controls
4. The UVW Editor
5. Blended Box Mapping
Next steps1m 34s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.