Join Joel Bradley for an in-depth discussion in this video Working with vertex color channels, part of 3ds Max 2018: Mastering UVW Mapping.
- [Instructor] When texturing certain assets,…we may sometimes find that pieces of our geometry…need to be combined, even though the various pieces may,…in the real world, be made of very different materials.…So for instance, we might have a piece of wood…that has nails or screws driven into it.…If combined as one piece of geometry,…the two would still need wood and metal materials applied.…Because of this, and after we have mount…to surface our surfaces, we may want to retain control…over the editing of each material separately.…
Now although there are multiple ways in which to do this,…we are going to take a look here at a technique…that can be used by people who deal…with pre-rendered sequences, and so take their renders…through a compositing application,…not for those who work in games…and need a way to very quickly apply multiple materials…to a single static match.…Now you see then, we have our robot…who clearly will need to be textured…with different materials that either a compositor…or real-time artist will want to combat…
Instructor Joel Bradley explains what UVWs are, how they affect textures, and why they are needed. He also reviews the different mapping spaces that are available and how procedural maps are used in texturing. Then he progresses to the hands-on portion of the course, starting with mapping simple shapes and models with the UVW modifier. He also reviews advanced topics, such as unwrapping and editing UVs with the UVW Editor. Finally, he introduces blended box mapping, for when you need to get a model ready for texturing quickly.
- UVW coordinates
- UV space
- Working with the UVW Map modifier and UVW gizmo
- World space vs. object space
- Peel mapping and pelt mapping
- Reshaping UV elements
- Smoothing and relaxing UVs
- Rendering UV layouts
- Blending seams with the Blended Box Map
Skill Level Intermediate
3ds Max 2017: Advanced Materialswith Aaron F. Ross2h 34m Intermediate
3ds Max 2018 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 10m Beginner
1. UV Mapping Basics
2. UV Mapping Options
3. Unwrap UVW Controls
4. The UVW Editor
5. Blended Box Mapping
Next steps1m 34s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.