Join Aaron F. Ross for an in-depth discussion in this video Working with transparency, part of Creating Product Shots in 3ds Max.
…The last object that needs a material on this model is the watch glass.…We've had it hidden this whole time so that…we could see the watch face, and the hands.…Let's unhide that watch glass.…Go back to the Manage Layers dialogue, and unhide the glass.…We also want to select it while we're at it.…So, we'll select that.…And now it's actually selected in the View, and go to the Material editor.…And create a new Arch and Design material.…Scroll back up to Mantaray Arch and Design and drag that over.…
And then double-click it, and then give it a name, we'll call it Glass.…And luckily for us, there's a preset.…We can just go in to Select a…Template, and we've got Glass, and there's several varieties.…There's Thin Geometry, Solid Geometry, and Physical.…Thin Geometry is for glazing on windows.…Solid Geometry is for solid objects like this one is.…It actually has thickness.…And Physical is another version of Solid that uses physically accurate algorithm.…
However, that accuracy comes at a cost and it's much slower to render.…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
Want to learn how to create the same effect with Maya? Check out Creating Product Shots in Maya.
- Importing solid models as 3ds Max body objects
- Working with the scene layout, hierarchy, and display layers
- Building Arch & Design materials
- Creating area and photometric lights
- Setting exposure control
- Optimizing indirect illumination with Final Gather
- Image-based lighting with high dynamic range files
- Lighting with self-illuminated geometry
- Rendering to high dynamic range
- Saving render passes with Render Elements
- Adding ambient occlusion
- Layering and color correction in After Effects
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Laying Out the Scene
2. Studio Lighting
Controlling Final Gather3m 57s
3. Shading Models with Materials
4. Image-Based Lighting
5. Rendering and Compositing
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.