Join Joel Bradley for an in-depth discussion in this video Working with maps, part of 3ds Max 2018: Mastering UVW Mapping.
- [Instructor] Well, now that we know how…the blend options work on our blended box map,…let's start to introduce some texture maps…to the workflow rather than the solid colors…that we've been using so far.…After making sure that we are in the material editor…and looking at our map controls thenm,…we have already commented on the fact…that by default we are using three…of the six projections available.…As we have already seen the basics…of how this works,…let's assume now that we want to map…our robot here with some kind of base diffuse map.…
But we don't have time to unwrap and apply UVs to the mesh…using any of the traditional methods…that we have looked at so far.…Well, let's see what kind of quality we get…by setting the number of projections…to a value of one.…After clicking that radial button,…let's also click on the map button…to add a bitmap node,…and then let's locate our material base color map…from the exercise files folder.…If we take a render, we can see…that the blended box map does give us…a decent looking result out of the gate…
Instructor Joel Bradley explains what UVWs are, how they affect textures, and why they are needed. He also reviews the different mapping spaces that are available and how procedural maps are used in texturing. Then he progresses to the hands-on portion of the course, starting with mapping simple shapes and models with the UVW modifier. He also reviews advanced topics, such as unwrapping and editing UVs with the UVW Editor. Finally, he introduces blended box mapping, for when you need to get a model ready for texturing quickly.
- UVW coordinates
- UV space
- Working with the UVW Map modifier and UVW gizmo
- World space vs. object space
- Peel mapping and pelt mapping
- Reshaping UV elements
- Smoothing and relaxing UVs
- Rendering UV layouts
- Blending seams with the Blended Box Map
Skill Level Intermediate
3ds Max 2018 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 10m Beginner
3ds Max: Tips, Tricks & Techniqueswith Aaron F. Ross4h 15m Intermediate
1. UV Mapping Basics
2. UV Mapping Options
3. Unwrap UVW Controls
4. The UVW Editor
5. Blended Box Mapping
Next steps1m 34s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.