In this video, explore bit depth and exposure latitude.
- [Instructor] Today's advanced 3D renderers operate…in a so-called linear lighting space…where light intensities directly correspond…to physical values.…The range of possible light intensity values is very wide,…but the dynamic range of standard display…media is very limited.…A screen or page can't display all of the brightness…and contrast of the real world.…And so renderings must be tonemapped to fit…into the color space or gamut of the display medium.…And there's a storage problem, too.…
Standard computer file formats such as jpeg cannot handle…high dynamic range images leading…to the development of special HDR formats such as EXR.…Parameters with very wide value ranges are…often represented in a logarithmic scale…to compress the values into a manageable range.…Light intensities are very conveniently measured…with the binary or base-two logarithm…because that system corresponds to the way…human vision perceives light, and also to the way…cameras work.…
Opening a camera aperture by one f-stop doubles…the amount of light reaching the sensor.…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
- Choosing a visualization app
- Managing assets
- Shading with materials and textures
- Daylighting, practical lighting, and studio lighting
- Lightbox and macro photography
- Vehicles and large-scale objects
- Architecture and interior design
- Technical illustrations
- Rendering passes and light groups
- Rendering for print, prepress, and broadcast
- Animating turntables and orbits
- Rigging and animating a walkthrough
Skill Level Beginner
3ds Max 2017: Advanced Lightingwith Aaron F. Ross2h 52m Advanced
3ds Max 2017: Advanced Materialswith Aaron F. Ross2h 34m Intermediate
3ds Max 2018 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 10m Beginner
3ds Max: Rendering with Arnold (2017)with Aaron F. Ross2h 40m Intermediate
1. Preparation and Layout
2. Lighting and Shading
4. Rendering and Image Manipulation
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.