Join Joel Bradley for an in-depth discussion in this video Working with explicit mapping, part of 3ds Max: UVW Mapping.
- As oftentimes can be the case,…when working with any complex system in 3DS Max,…having apparently solved a quite nasty…UVW mapping problem,…we now find ourselves right back…where we started from, due to our making…the switch from transform to deformation-based animation.…The problem, just to recap, is that our…animated robot geometry is simply…swimming through the procedural nodes map…that we currently have applied as diffuse texture.…Whilst using transform animation, of course,…we got things to work by switching from…World XYZ RZ to Object XYZ as our source mapping option.…
Now that we are using the skin modifier, however,…this option no longer works as it did.…Of course, it isn't only when using the skin modifier…that we will find ourselves running into this problem.…Any deformation-based mesh animation in 3DS Max…will produce exactly the same end result.…Even something as simple as our…animating the bend modifier.…Clearly then, we need alternative options…if we are to deal with this very unhelpful problem.…
- What are UVW coordinates?
- Understanding UVW space
- Autogenerating coordinates
- Using map channels
- Working with the World XYZ and Object XYZ systems
- Peel and pelt mapping
- Reshaping UV elements
- Relaxing UVs
- Rendering out a UV template
Skill Level Intermediate
1. UVW Mapping Basics
2. Digging a little deeper
3. Unwrap UVW Modifier Controls
4. The Edit UVW Interface
What's next?1m 43s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.