Join Joel Bradley for an in-depth discussion in this video Working with explicit map channels, part of 3ds Max 2018: Mastering UVW Mapping.
- [Narrator] As can often times be the case…when working with complex systems in 3ds Max,…having apparently solved one nasty UVW mapping problem…we find ourselves right back where we started from,…because we make the switch from transformation…to deformation based animation.…Whilst using transform animation…we got things to work by switching from world (indistinct)…to object (indistinct)…as our source mapping option.…Now that we are using a modifier that causes deformation…however, this option no longer works…and as already mentioned,…this would still be a problem…should we be using bone animation…via a skin modifier.…
Clearly then, we need an alternative option…if we are going to be able to deal…with this very unhelpful problem.…Well, one thing that we could do…in our (indistinct) coordinates rollout…would be to switch the mapping source again.…This time, going from (indistinct)…to explicit map channel.…Now, in making this switch we would be assuming…that we already have mapping coordinates…applied to our geometry…
Instructor Joel Bradley explains what UVWs are, how they affect textures, and why they are needed. He also reviews the different mapping spaces that are available and how procedural maps are used in texturing. Then he progresses to the hands-on portion of the course, starting with mapping simple shapes and models with the UVW modifier. He also reviews advanced topics, such as unwrapping and editing UVs with the UVW Editor. Finally, he introduces blended box mapping, for when you need to get a model ready for texturing quickly.
- UVW coordinates
- UV space
- Working with the UVW Map modifier and UVW gizmo
- World space vs. object space
- Peel mapping and pelt mapping
- Reshaping UV elements
- Smoothing and relaxing UVs
- Rendering UV layouts
- Blending seams with the Blended Box Map
Skill Level Intermediate
3ds Max 2018 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 10m Beginner
1. UV Mapping Basics
2. UV Mapping Options
3. Unwrap UVW Controls
4. The UVW Editor
5. Blended Box Mapping
Next steps1m 34s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.