Join Joel Bradley for an in-depth discussion in this video Working with the UVW gizmo, part of 3ds Max 2018: Mastering UVW Mapping.
- [Instructor] In this video…we're going to be taking a look…at how the UVW map gizmo particularly in its sub object mode…can extend the manipulation options open to us.…One thing we touched on briefly in previous exercises…was the fact that whilst applying the UVW map modifier…directly to a piece of geometry,…the gizmo itself will scale to fit.…So, if I go ahead and apply a modifier…to our box primitive,…we can see that the planar mapping gizmo…fits itself perfectly to the X and Y dimensions of the cube.…
If I delete that and at the original box level…in the modifier stack, set the width to a value of about 85…and then again apply a UVW modifier…we see that the gizmo fits itself…to the now altered dimensions of the box…and of course, this would be the same…no matter what geometry shape we apply the modifier to.…Let's just hit undo a few times here…to get our cube and original UVW map back.…One thing worth noting,…however, is that this automatic sizing…won't take place should we copy and paste a modifier.…
In fact, let's copy what we have on the box here…
Instructor Joel Bradley explains what UVWs are, how they affect textures, and why they are needed. He also reviews the different mapping spaces that are available and how procedural maps are used in texturing. Then he progresses to the hands-on portion of the course, starting with mapping simple shapes and models with the UVW modifier. He also reviews advanced topics, such as unwrapping and editing UVs with the UVW Editor. Finally, he introduces blended box mapping, for when you need to get a model ready for texturing quickly.
- UVW coordinates
- UV space
- Working with the UVW Map modifier and UVW gizmo
- World space vs. object space
- Peel mapping and pelt mapping
- Reshaping UV elements
- Smoothing and relaxing UVs
- Rendering UV layouts
- Blending seams with the Blended Box Map
Skill Level Intermediate
3ds Max 2018 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 10m Beginner
1. UV Mapping Basics
2. UV Mapping Options
3. Unwrap UVW Controls
4. The UVW Editor
5. Blended Box Mapping
Next steps1m 34s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.