Join Joel Bradley for an in-depth discussion in this video What you should know, part of 3ds Max 2018: Mastering UVW Mapping.
- [Narrator] As we work through this UVW mapping course, I will be showing you how to access the various tools and controls that we will be using inside the 3dx Max user interface, as well as calling out keyboard shortcuts, or hotkeys, as they are utilized. I would like to point out before we get going however, that I will be assuming you are at least reasonably familiar with the 3dx Max application, and by that I mean that you know how to work with essential 3dx Max controls, such as viewport navigation and basic project selection manipulation.
If you are new to 3dx Max and need to learn the essential elements of the program before following along with our UVW mapping course, then I would recommend that you check out some of the great 3dx Max titles already found on the Lynda.com online training library, as these can help you become well acquainted with the application. Other skills that you would probably find helpful as you work through this course would include an understanding of how to work with 3dx Max's mesh modeling toolset, simply because much of the terminology and workflow used for modeling in Max has actually been carried over to the UVW mapping process, making the toolset feel both familiar and easy to use for Max models.
Instructor Joel Bradley explains what UVWs are, how they affect textures, and why they are needed. He also reviews the different mapping spaces that are available and how procedural maps are used in texturing. Then he progresses to the hands-on portion of the course, starting with mapping simple shapes and models with the UVW modifier. He also reviews advanced topics, such as unwrapping and editing UVs with the UVW Editor. Finally, he introduces blended box mapping, for when you need to get a model ready for texturing quickly.
- UVW coordinates
- UV space
- Working with the UVW Map modifier and UVW gizmo
- World space vs. object space
- Peel mapping and pelt mapping
- Reshaping UV elements
- Smoothing and relaxing UVs
- Rendering UV layouts
- Blending seams with the Blended Box Map
Skill Level Intermediate
3ds Max 2018 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 10m Beginner
3ds Max: Tips, Tricks & Techniqueswith Aaron F. Ross4h 15m Intermediate
1. UV Mapping Basics
2. UV Mapping Options
3. Unwrap UVW Controls
4. The UVW Editor
5. Blended Box Mapping
Next steps1m 34s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.