Join Joel Bradley for an in-depth discussion in this video What you should know, part of 3ds Max: UVW Mapping.
- As we work through this UVW mapping in 3ds Max course, I will be showing you how to access the various tools and controls that we'll be using inside the 3ds Max user interface, as well as calling out keyboard shortcuts or hotkeys as they are utilized. I would like to point out before we get going however, that I will be issuing you are at least reasonably familiar with the 3ds Max application. By that I mean, you will know how to work with essential Max controls such as viewpoint navigation and basic object selection and manipulation tools.
If you are new to 3ds Max I need to learn how to master essential elements of the program before following along with our UVW mapping course. I would recommend that you check out some of the great 3ds Max titles already found on the Lynda.com online training and library. Perhaps focusing initially on the essential training titles, as these can help you become well acquainted with the application. Other skills that you would probably find helpful as you work through this course would include an understanding of how to work with 3ds Max's mesh modeling tool set.
This is because much of the terminology and work flow used for modeling in Max has been carried over to the UVW mapping process making the tool set feel both familiar and so easy to use.
- What are UVW coordinates?
- Understanding UVW space
- Autogenerating coordinates
- Using map channels
- Working with the World XYZ and Object XYZ systems
- Peel and pelt mapping
- Reshaping UV elements
- Relaxing UVs
- Rendering out a UV template