Join Brian Bradley for an in-depth discussion in this video What you should know before watching this course, part of Mental Ray: Control Color Bleed in 3ds Max.
- [Instructor] Although I will be doing my very best to keep you informed as to tool locations and keyboard shortcuts that I will make use of as we work through this course, I will, nevertheless, be assuming that you are reasonably familiar with both 3ds Max and the Mental Ray renderer. If you are new to these applications and so need to learn how to master the basics of the software before feeling comfortable about working through this course, then I would strongly recommend checking out some of the informative 3ds Max and Mental Ray courses that can already be found here on the lynda.com library such as my own Up and Running with Mental Ray in 3ds Max and Joel Bradley's Rendering for Composites Inside 3ds Max.
Other skills that you may find useful as you work through this course would include any knowledge of working with render engines inside a 3D application, be that in 3ds Max or indeed any piece of modeling, lighting, and rendering software.
- Controlling reflectance
- Understanding how geometry setup affects color bleed
- Choosing color placement carefully
- Using the FG Diffuse Bounce control and Photon Energy setting
- Controlling color bleed via object property controls
- Using the rayswitch map