Join Brian Bradley for an in-depth discussion in this video What are substances and why should we use them?, part of 3ds Max: Substance to V-Ray.
- [Instructor] Probably the first question…we should address as we head into our course…is, 'What exactly is a 'Substance'?'…To answer that in a somewhat technical manner,…we could probably say that a Substance…is a package or archive file that when imported…into a host application, becomes accessible through…the UI as an editable map type, something that can then…be placed inside a material or materials…in order to give the user full access…to a parametrically driven texturing system.…One of the big strengths of Substances…is the fact that very specific control parameters…for the texture can be exposed to the end user.…
Controls that can range from something…as simple as being able to change…a graph size or resolution, going all the way up…to more complicated effects, such as adjustable edgeware,…surface corrosion and even the blending together…of multiple material or surface types…on the same piece of geometry.…From an artistic point of view,…the benefits that come from using…this kind of parametric system are huge,…
- What are substances and why should we use them?
- Choosing your substance workflow mode
- Using Bitmap2Material inside 3ds Max
- Loading the Bitmap2Material node into 3ds Max
- Building your material
- Working with substances from Substance Designer
- Working with maps from Substance Designer
- Exporting the map types
- Exporting maps from Substance Painter
Skill Level Intermediate
3ds Max 2017 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross9h 50m Intermediate
3ds Max 2017: Advanced Lightingwith Aaron F. Ross2h 52m Advanced
1. Overview of Substance Based Tools
The substance toolset4m 9s
2. Using Bitmap2Material inside 3ds Max
3. Working with Substances from Substance Designer
4. Working with Maps from Substance Designer
5. Exporting Maps from Substance Painter
What's next?1m 33s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.