Join Brian Bradley for an in-depth discussion in this video What is a constraint and how do we use it?, part of MassFX and 3ds Max: Creating Simulations (2013).
Whenever we add a dynamic rigid body modifier to an object or objects in our…scene, they become subject to the law of gravity.…This should mean of course it is enable in our global options.…However having all free-floating objects in the scene automatically fall to the…floor may not be the desired end result.…We may, for instance, find ourselves needing to fix certain objects in places, it…were, locking them to a specific point in 3D space.…Alternatively, we may need to create complex relationships between two objects in…the scene, such as having them dynamically slide against one another within a…fixed set of boundaries or revolve around one another on a fixed axis.…
In these and other such situations, we will want to make use of a set of…tools called constraints.…As you can probably surmise from the name, a constraint inside a dynamic…simulation restricts the movement of particular objects that are part of the…rigid body simulation.…The idea of a constraint is that it creates hierarchical parent-child…
- Setting up your 3ds Max project
- Understanding volume, mass, and density
- Learning the difference between concave and convex meshes
- Discovering Ground Collision and Gravity
- Baking out a simulation for rendering
- Adding an animation override
- Adding Rigid constraints and creating breakability
- Creating springy targets with the Hinge constraint
- Spinning targets with Twist
- Working with mCloth
- Putting a rip in mCloth
- Adding forces to a simulation
- Using fracture geometry in mParticles
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Dynamics Simulation 101: Understanding the Basics
2. The MassFX Approach
3. Working with Rigid Bodies
4. Making Use of Constraints
5. Working with mCloth
6. Using Forces with MassFX
Using forces with mCloth3m 47s
7. A Brief Introduction to mParticles
What's next?1m 5s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.