Join Joel Bradley for an in-depth discussion in this video What is Blended Box mapping?, part of 3ds Max 2018: Mastering UVW Mapping.
- [Instructor] Despite having worked through…an entire course on how to use the UV toolset…inside 3DS Max, the simple truth is that…on some projects, we simply will not have the time…to create perfect mapping for every object.…Because of this, on some textures and background objects,…we may want to make use of the blended box mapping option…that 3DS Max now makes available to us.…So, what does this tool allow us to do?…Well, simply put, the blended box map gives us the ability…to project our maps onto selected geometry…in a far simpler way than the UV mapping processes…that we have looked at so far.…
It can even be created as just a single instance…that can then be applied to one or more objects,…which makes it a brilliant tool for mapping…and applying noisy textures and texture details,…such as dirt or mud, et cetera.…In fact, it is worth noting that this method works…much like the simple box mapping projection type…that we discussed toward the start of the course.…In other words, blended box mapping…projects from 90 degree angles,…
Instructor Joel Bradley explains what UVWs are, how they affect textures, and why they are needed. He also reviews the different mapping spaces that are available and how procedural maps are used in texturing. Then he progresses to the hands-on portion of the course, starting with mapping simple shapes and models with the UVW modifier. He also reviews advanced topics, such as unwrapping and editing UVs with the UVW Editor. Finally, he introduces blended box mapping, for when you need to get a model ready for texturing quickly.
- UVW coordinates
- UV space
- Working with the UVW Map modifier and UVW gizmo
- World space vs. object space
- Peel mapping and pelt mapping
- Reshaping UV elements
- Smoothing and relaxing UVs
- Rendering UV layouts
- Blending seams with the Blended Box Map
Skill Level Intermediate
3ds Max 2018 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 10m Beginner
3ds Max: Tips, Tricks & Techniqueswith Aaron F. Ross4h 15m Intermediate
1. UV Mapping Basics
2. UV Mapping Options
3. Unwrap UVW Controls
4. The UVW Editor
5. Blended Box Mapping
Next steps1m 34s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.