Join Joel Bradley for an in-depth discussion in this video Weathering the wood, part of Game Asset Creation: Stylized Wooden Crate.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
- In this video, we're going to take a look at…how we created the weathering effect on our wood…and did so in such a way as to maintain…the stylized look of our design.…Obviously, Substance Designer can create…some pretty realistic-looking weathering affects,…but it is always good to know that we can add…a stylized look to such operations should we want to…whilst, of course, keeping everything…completely procedural in nature.…Zooming into our Diffused Wood frame, then,…we can see that this entire bottom section of the flow…is dedicated to the weathering of our wood material.…
First of all, you will notice that we are using an instance…of the curvature map that we have already baked out.…If I right-click on the node here…and choose the View in 3D view option,…I can assign this to the diffuse channel,…and now we can very easily see where the curvature map…is going to affect our mesh.…Now, at this moment in time,…it doesn't look overly usable as a weathering tool,…but what it does do is give us what we need…in order to procedurally affect…
- Modeling the wood frame
- Adding structural reinforcements
- Creating nails with primitives
- Unwrapping the wood and nails
- Combining UV elements
- Exporting the FBX file
- Creating the shader in Substance Designer
- Simulating weathering and edge wear
- Importing the mesh in Unreal Engine
- Applying the substance
Skill Level Intermediate
3ds Max 2013 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross7h 9m Beginner
Getting Started with CAT Rigging Tools in 3ds Maxwith Joel Bradley2h 33m Intermediate
Modeling a Character in 3ds Maxwith Ryan Kittleson4h 31m Intermediate
1. Modeling the Wood
2. Nailing It All Together
3. Unwrapping & Exporting Geometry
4. Creating the Shader
5. Bringing It All Together in Unreal Engine 4
Importing the mesh3m 5s
What next?1m 53s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.