Map a texture with a shape or spline
- [Voiceover] Even more interesting…than the text map is the new shape map.…It allows you place a shape,…or a spline object into a shading network.…And that way you can create…resolution independent vector art…directly in your shading network in your material,…and also have the ability to edit that in real time…using the spline tools.…I've already got the elements I need here,…I've got an object that I want to map,…it will be a flag,…and I've also got my editable spline,…or shape object here,…and this is the reverse of the Oregon State flag.…
The only flag in the Union that has a reverse…that's separate from the front,…and we've got our Oregon State beaver here.…So let's now create the shape map,…and apply it to the material.…I've already got a material made,…I'll open up the material editor.…Here's the material that's assigned to that object,…and then in the map section on the left here…scroll down and we've got Shape Map.…Select that, and drag it over into the view,…and then connect it to the diffuse color.…
And we won't see anything special at first,…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
- New viewport display menus
- Using the standalone Asset Library
- Visualizing computational fluid dynamics
- Exporting to Print Studio for 3D printing
- Saving models and animation with the Game Exporter
- Building complex objects with new Booleans
- Modeling and mapping with new TextPlus primitive
- Editing keyframes with new Curve Editor tools
- Applying skin weights with Voxel and Heat Map solvers
- Mapping spline textures with shape maps
- Simulating surfaces with Physical Material
- Rendering with ART
- Rendering in the cloud with A360
Skill Level Intermediate
Up and Running with mental ray in 3ds Maxwith Brian Bradley4h 7m Intermediate
3ds Max 2016 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 44m Beginner
1. The New 3ds Max Interface
2. Assets and Interoperability
3. Modeling and Animation
4. Materials and Mapping
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.