Join Aaron F. Ross for an in-depth discussion in this video Varying highlights with a bump map, part of Creating Product Shots in 3ds Max.
…I made a couple more adjustments to the positions…of the lights, and we're ready now to lock down…those lights, and then move on to adjusting the…material, by adding a bump map, to vary the highlights.…Let's take a look at what we have so far.…Open up the Rendered Frame window.…And, I moved the lights a little bit, so…we're getting a bit more definition, on those contours.…Let's go ahead and clone that rendered…frame window and then let's minimize these views.…Go back into manage layers and freeze the environment and freeze the light's layers.…
And we're just going to add a bump map to our existing watch body material.…Go back into the material editor.…And we'll dolly back a little bit with the wheel.…And then use the middle mouse button to pan.…Here's our watch body, bring that up.…And we want to add a simple bump map.…And it's going to be a noise map.…You'll see under Standard, we've got Noise.…We can drag that in and then connect that to the bump channel of the watch body.…And then double-click on the noise map.…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
Want to learn how to create the same effect with Maya? Check out Creating Product Shots in Maya.
- Importing solid models as 3ds Max body objects
- Working with the scene layout, hierarchy, and display layers
- Building Arch & Design materials
- Creating area and photometric lights
- Setting exposure control
- Optimizing indirect illumination with Final Gather
- Image-based lighting with high dynamic range files
- Lighting with self-illuminated geometry
- Rendering to high dynamic range
- Saving render passes with Render Elements
- Adding ambient occlusion
- Layering and color correction in After Effects
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Laying Out the Scene
2. Studio Lighting
Controlling Final Gather3m 57s
3. Shading Models with Materials
4. Image-Based Lighting
5. Rendering and Compositing
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.