Join Joel Bradley for an in-depth discussion in this video Using the projection options, part of 3ds Max 2018: Mastering UVW Mapping.
- [Instructor] The option that we want…to take a look at next in our blended box map,…has been designed to help keep our textures looking…as intended, by removing distortion…or stretching caused by the box mapping's…default behavior.…With our test map piped into our three projection slots,…if we take a render you will notice…that the test map has indeed been stretched.…This is because by default the blended box mapping…will fit its dimensions to the object it is applied to.…
So if our object is taller than it is wider,…so will be our UV projections.…This is what is causing the stretching we see here.…So how do we fix it?…Well, let's put a check in this Cubic option,…which will, as the name suggests,…force the projections to be cubic,…so that no stretching can occur when using square,…or power of two, texture maps.…Once a check has been put in this option then,…we have three modes from which we can choose.…We can pick an object that the projection boxes will match…in terms of size.…
We can pick a specific size if we know how big…
Instructor Joel Bradley explains what UVWs are, how they affect textures, and why they are needed. He also reviews the different mapping spaces that are available and how procedural maps are used in texturing. Then he progresses to the hands-on portion of the course, starting with mapping simple shapes and models with the UVW modifier. He also reviews advanced topics, such as unwrapping and editing UVs with the UVW Editor. Finally, he introduces blended box mapping, for when you need to get a model ready for texturing quickly.
- UVW coordinates
- UV space
- Working with the UVW Map modifier and UVW gizmo
- World space vs. object space
- Peel mapping and pelt mapping
- Reshaping UV elements
- Smoothing and relaxing UVs
- Rendering UV layouts
- Blending seams with the Blended Box Map
Skill Level Intermediate
3ds Max 2018 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 10m Beginner
1. UV Mapping Basics
2. UV Mapping Options
3. Unwrap UVW Controls
4. The UVW Editor
5. Blended Box Mapping
Next steps1m 34s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.