Join Joel Bradley for an in-depth discussion in this video Using map channels, part of 3ds Max 2018: Mastering UVW Mapping.
- [Instructor] One really helpful feature…that we will want to know how to use when texturing…is the fact that in 3ds Max,…we can actually use multiple versions of UV space…on any piece of geometry we like.…This can be done by taking advantage of UVW map channels.…With each map channel making its own…zero to one space available to us.…If I open up the material editor then,…you can see in our material setup…that we have a simple decal being composited…or overlayed on top of our brick map.…
Now currently, both input maps,…if I double click to bring up their parameters,…are making use of map channel one.…And if I just select the plane geometry in the scene…and then jump over to the command panel's modify tab,…we can see that the applied UVW map modifier…is also making use of map channel one.…This means if I just select the modifier's sub-object gizmo,…that any translation or rotation of the mapping gizmo…that I apply here will affect both of the bitmaps in use.…
And of course, as soon as we pass outside…of the zero to one UV space,…
Instructor Joel Bradley explains what UVWs are, how they affect textures, and why they are needed. He also reviews the different mapping spaces that are available and how procedural maps are used in texturing. Then he progresses to the hands-on portion of the course, starting with mapping simple shapes and models with the UVW modifier. He also reviews advanced topics, such as unwrapping and editing UVs with the UVW Editor. Finally, he introduces blended box mapping, for when you need to get a model ready for texturing quickly.
- UVW coordinates
- UV space
- Working with the UVW Map modifier and UVW gizmo
- World space vs. object space
- Peel mapping and pelt mapping
- Reshaping UV elements
- Smoothing and relaxing UVs
- Rendering UV layouts
- Blending seams with the Blended Box Map
Skill Level Intermediate
3ds Max 2018 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 10m Beginner
1. UV Mapping Basics
2. UV Mapping Options
3. Unwrap UVW Controls
4. The UVW Editor
5. Blended Box Mapping
Next steps1m 34s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.