Join Brian Bradley for an in-depth discussion in this video Using irradiance mapping: Part 2, part of V-Ray 3.0 for 3ds Max Essential Training.
- Having already created a basic…irradiance mapping solution, we are in this video,…going to work at refining what we have.…As you can see in our render, taken from…where we left off in the previous exercise,…we currently have a very blotchy…GI solution that really doesn't work…as a final production quality lighting set up.…The question really is how can we go about improving things?…Well, one thing we could do is give…the irradiance mapping engine a helping hand.…We can do this by making use of a sky portal in the scene.…
In the layer explorer then,…let's unhide our "Sky Portal" layer,…and after selecting the now visible V-Ray light,…make certain that it is both enabled…and set to function as a sky portal.…With this option turned on,…the color and multiplier parameters…of the V-Ray light are actually ignored…as the light will now take its color and intensity values…from the environment setting behind it.…In fact, because we have no real…geometric object sitting outside of our room,…we can cut down on the amount of ray casting…
- Using the new UI elements, Quick Settings, and revamped Frame Buffer
- Understanding color mapping modes
- Adding V-Ray light types
- Working with the V-Ray Sun and Sky systems and dome light
- Using irradiance mapping and light cache
- Working with diffuse color maps
- Making reflective materials
- Creating a translucency effect
- Using the new SSS and skin shaders
- Ensuring quality with image sampling
- Working with the adaptive subdivision engine
- Controlling the physical camera
- Working with FX tools such as VRayFur and VRayMetaball
- Stereoscopic 3D rendering
- Using Render Mask
Skill Level Intermediate
3ds Max 2013 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross7h 9m Beginner
Introduction and Important Information
1. Getting Ready to Render with V-Ray
2. Key Lighting Tools
3. Global Illumination
4. V-Ray Materials and Maps
5. Quality Control with Image Sampling
6. Working with Cameras
The V-Ray Physical Camera
V-Ray 3 & the 3ds Max Physical Camera
7. The V-Ray FX Tools
What's next?1m 47s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.