Join Joel Bradley for an in-depth discussion in this video Using Z-depth for atmospherics, part of 3ds Max: Rendering for Composites.
- Given that adding genuine volumetrics…to a render in 3ds Max can be quite expensive…in terms of the render time required,…we are going to instead use a little bit…of trickery here in After Effects,…and add some SHOE to our volumetrics,…or haze to our camera sequence.…As these add-depth element that we want to use…for this effect is going to need some…fairly major edits making to it, edits that we don't want…affecting our already set up depth-of-field effect,…we will need to drag a fresh copy of the Zed depth footage…into the Elements comp, making certain that we drop it…just below our depth-of-field adjustment layer.…
This is so that one, the haze itself will be affected…by the depth-of-field effect, and that, two,…the haze itself will in turn be able to affect…everything else sitting below it in the comp.…Now, for use as a haze pass, if we just turn…everything but our Zed depth layer off,…the grayscale values captured in the images…that we have here are currently the wrong way 'round.…And so, with the Zed depth layer selected,…
- Making a pipeline decision
- Understanding how state sets work
- Using state sets for rendering passes
- Setting element parameters
- Creating a custom matte pass
- Installing Compositor Link
- Outputting rendering footage to After Effects
- Adding post-production effects in After Effects
Skill Level Intermediate
3ds Max 2013 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross7h 9m Beginner
Learning CAT Rigging Tools in 3ds Maxwith Joel Bradley2h 33m Intermediate
Modeling a Character in 3ds Maxwith Ryan Kittleson4h 31m Intermediate
1. Introduction to Render Elements
2. Introduction to State Sets
3. Project - Rendering Our Elements
4. Project - Interoperability with After Effects
5. Project - Post Production in Adobe After Effects
What next?1m 4s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.