Partially select sub-objects.
- [Instructor] Soft selection is a powerful…polygon modeling technique for achieving…smooth-flowing surfaces with very few jagged edges.…It applies to just standard polygons, but it also applies…in the case of subdivision surface modeling.…I'll select the seat cushion.…I want to get at its editable poly.…If we go up to the modeling ribbon,…once again, we don't see anything.…We can get to the modify panel by clicking on…the Modify Mode button here,…and that opens up the modify panel,…which then allows us to actually move through the stack.…
I'll move down to the level of the editable poly,…and then enter into sub-object vertex mode.…I can select some vertices,…like these two here, along the seam.…I'll Control-select those…and then enter into soft selection mode.…That can be done from the modify panel…or from this button on the ribbon.…Click on the ribbon button for soft selection.…You get a little popup panel.…
With soft selection enabled, we can transform…the selected sub-objects, and nearby sub-objects…will move, but only partially.…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
Learn how to get around the 3ds Max interface and customize it to suit your preferences. Discover how to model different objects using splines, polygons, subdivision surfaces, and freeform sculpting. Then, learn to construct hierarchies, add cameras and lights, and animate with keyframes. Author Aaron F. Ross also takes an in-depth look at materials and texture mapping, as well as options for rendering engines such as Arnold and ART.
- Customizing the interface
- Selecting, duplicating, and editing objects
- Modeling with splines
- Parametric modeling with the Modifier Stack
- Polygon and subdivision surface modeling
- Freeform sculpting
- Framing shots with cameras
- Lighting with photometrics and daylight
- Building materials
- Mapping textures
- Linking objects in hierarchies
- Creating and editing keyframes
- Rendering an image sequence
Skill Level Intermediate
3ds Max 2017: Advanced Lightingwith Aaron F. Ross2h 52m Advanced
3ds Max 2017: Advanced Materialswith Aaron F. Ross2h 34m Intermediate
3ds Max 2018 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 10m Beginner
2. 3ds Max Interface
3. Scene Layout
4. Spline Modeling
5. Parametric Modeling with Modifiers
6. Polygon Modeling
7. Subdivision Surface Modeling
8. Freeform Modeling
9. Camera Techniques
12. Mapping Textures
14. Keyframe Animation
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.