Learn about the various material editors in 3ds Max. This video starts off with a discussion of the Compact Material Editor, then moves on to the more sophisticated Slate Material Editor. George shows you how to create new materials, as well as how to navigate the node editor within the Slate Material Editor.
- [Instructor] Now let's dive into materials in 3ds Max. … Materials can be created in one of two editors. … We have the Compact Material Editor … and the Slate Material Editor. … And they're pretty much like they sound. … The Compact Material Editor is compact and simpler … than the Slate Material Editor. … Now we can get to these in one of two places. … We have a pulldown menu here … and this allows us to choose between … the Compact or the Slate Material Editor. … Now I'm going to select Compact. … And when I do, the Compact Material Editor shows up. … Now this is the original material editor for 3ds Max … and is still pretty useful. … It's very easy to get around and fairly compact … so you can kind of place it on the corner of your screen. … Now we're going to spend most of our time … in the Slate Material Editor. … So there are two ways to get into that. … One is to use the pulldown menu. … So we can do into our Compact … or our Slate Material Editor here … or if you're in a material editor, …
This course isn't designed to teach you the basics, but to help you refresh your 3ds Max skills and prepare for the exam topics. Once you're finished with the course, you can feel confident taking the 3ds Max Certified Professional exam.
- What is 3ds Max certification?
- Importing data
- Using scenes
- Configuring viewports
- Transforming, duplicating, and cloning objects
- Polygonal modeling
- Editing splines
- Setting up cameras and lighting
- Working with materials
- Rendering scenes
- Animating models
- Rigging characters
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: This course was updated on 11/01/2017. What changed?
A: The following topics were updated: working with camera settings and FOV, understanding standard light types, using the Slate Material Editor, understanding standard materials, understanding Arnold materials, and assigning 3ds Max renderers.
1. Certification Basics
Using the Certiport website1m 27s
2. Fundamental 3ds Max Skills
3. Modeling Tools in 3ds Max
4. Cameras and Lighting
5. Materials and Shading
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.