Roughen and smooth a surface.
- [Instructor] In the previous movie…we saw how to use the Push/Pull brush…on the Freeform modeling ribbon.…We've got some other really useful paintbrushes there…so let's take a deeper look.…I'll select the Terrain Object.…And on the Freeform tab of the ribbon,…in the Paint Deform panel,…we have six more brushes.…The first one we'll look at is Relax.…And in order to see that effect…we'll need to have something on the terrain,…so we'll grab the Push/Pull brush…and just draw out a couple of…simple mountains or hills there.…
And then exit out of Push/Pull.…Because when you exit out of that tool…and re-enter Push/Pull,…then you may see some unexpected results.…Click + Drag and almost immediately…I get some very ugly geometry.…And it's even self-intersecting here…and passing through itself.…And that's just a quirk of the default settings…for the Push/Pull brush,…but we can fix that by using the Relax/Soften brush.…
So activate that…and drag to soften up that geometry.…And Relax/Soften works in any brush mode.…I can go back to Push/Pull…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
Learn how to get around the 3ds Max interface and customize it to suit your preferences. Discover how to model different objects using splines, polygons, subdivision surfaces, and freeform sculpting. Then, learn to construct hierarchies, add cameras and lights, and animate with keyframes. Author Aaron F. Ross also takes an in-depth look at materials and texture mapping, as well as options for rendering engines such as Arnold and ART.
- Customizing the interface
- Selecting, duplicating, and editing objects
- Modeling with splines
- Parametric modeling with the Modifier Stack
- Polygon and subdivision surface modeling
- Freeform sculpting
- Framing shots with cameras
- Lighting with photometrics and daylight
- Building materials
- Mapping textures
- Linking objects in hierarchies
- Creating and editing keyframes
- Rendering an image sequence
Skill Level Intermediate
3ds Max 2017: Advanced Lightingwith Aaron F. Ross2h 52m Advanced
3ds Max 2017: Advanced Materialswith Aaron F. Ross2h 34m Intermediate
3ds Max 2018 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 10m Beginner
2. 3ds Max Interface
3. Scene Layout
4. Spline Modeling
5. Parametric Modeling with Modifiers
6. Polygon Modeling
7. Subdivision Surface Modeling
8. Freeform Modeling
9. Camera Techniques
12. Mapping Textures
14. Keyframe Animation
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.