Edit polygon structure with the Cut tool.
- [Instructor] The ribbon is an interface panel…that has numerous tabs on it…to perform functions such as modeling…with an editable poly object.…I've got the ribbon hidden currently…so, let's display it.…There's a button on the main tool bar…to show or hide the ribbon.…And if nothing is selected,…most of these tabs on the ribbon will be empty.…If we go to Free Form or Selection,…it's just blank.…If we go to Object Paint we finally see something.…
We're interested in the Modeling tab.…And that has numerous tools…applicable to the editable poly object…or the edit poly modifier.…The edit poly modifier has…pretty much all the same tools…as the editable poly object,…but the modifier is destructive.…In other words,…it can perform topology changes…that cannot be reversed…and that's kind of a paradox…to have a destructive tool in the middle of a…nondestructive work flow like a modifier stack.…
So in general,…we don't use the edit poly modifier very much.…We almost always convert to editable poly…before accessing the tools.…Now there's a bit of a strange behavior…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
Learn how to get around the 3ds Max interface and customize it to suit your preferences. Discover how to model different objects using splines, polygons, subdivision surfaces, and freeform sculpting. Then, learn to construct hierarchies, add cameras and lights, and animate with keyframes. Author Aaron F. Ross also takes an in-depth look at materials and texture mapping, as well as options for rendering engines such as Arnold and ART.
- Customizing the interface
- Selecting, duplicating, and editing objects
- Modeling with splines
- Parametric modeling with the Modifier Stack
- Polygon and subdivision surface modeling
- Freeform sculpting
- Framing shots with cameras
- Lighting with photometrics and daylight
- Building materials
- Mapping textures
- Linking objects in hierarchies
- Creating and editing keyframes
- Rendering an image sequence
Skill Level Intermediate
3ds Max 2017: Advanced Lightingwith Aaron F. Ross2h 52m Advanced
3ds Max 2017: Advanced Materialswith Aaron F. Ross2h 34m Intermediate
3ds Max 2018 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 10m Beginner
2. 3ds Max Interface
3. Scene Layout
4. Spline Modeling
5. Parametric Modeling with Modifiers
6. Polygon Modeling
7. Subdivision Surface Modeling
8. Freeform Modeling
9. Camera Techniques
12. Mapping Textures
14. Keyframe Animation
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.