Join Joel Bradley for an in-depth discussion in this video Unwrapping the wood: Part 2, part of Creating a Stylized Wooden Crate Game Asset.
- With our test material in place,…we are ready to make a start at fixing…our curly way wood UVs which…we can start to do by selecting the top piece…of our outer frame here, coming over to the Modifier panel…drop-down, and then typing in the word Unwrap.…Once the list is updated, we can click to apply…the Unwrap UVW Modifier to the selected piece of geometry.…Obviously, there are lots of ways to unwrap…any model in 3ds MAX not just game assets,…but in this instance, I'm going to go with one…that is both quick and simple to use.…
And it has the added benefit of getting us…pretty good results right out of the box.…Of course, once we are in the Unwrap phase of a project,…we need to be thinking about how…our materials and textures are going to be created.…Here, for example, I know that I'm going to be using…the Substance Designer application to create…all of the maps and material outputs that I will be using.…Because I know this upfront and because I know that…Substance Designer as an application is pretty good…
- Modeling the wood frame
- Adding structural reinforcements
- Creating nails with primitives
- Unwrapping the wood and nails
- Combining UV elements
- Exporting the FBX file
- Creating the shader in Substance Designer
- Simulating weathering and edge wear
- Importing the mesh in Unreal Engine
- Applying the substance
Skill Level Intermediate
Modeling a Character in 3ds Maxwith Ryan Kittleson4h 31m Intermediate
3ds Max 2013 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross7h 9m Beginner
Learning CAT Rigging Tools in 3ds Maxwith Joel Bradley2h 33m Intermediate
1. Modeling the Wood
2. Nailing It All Together
3. Unwrapping & Exporting Geometry
4. Creating the Shader
5. Bringing It All Together in Unreal Engine 4
Importing the mesh3m 5s
What next?1m 53s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.