Join Joel Bradley for an in-depth discussion in this video Unwrapping the hub, part of Game Art: Model & UV Map a Low Poly Character.
- [Instructor] With the modeling of our hub taken care of,…what we want to do in this exercise is UV unwrap the model…so that it is ready for the texturing phase,…which, in my particular pipeline, usually involves…taking it into either the Substance Designer…or Substance Painter applications.…Over in the Modifier tab, then,…the first thing I want to do…is add a plain old UVW Map modifier.…The reason for this being…that because the modifier defaults…to a simple Planar Mapping option,…we can easily clear away any unwanted UV seams…that may exist in the mesh and clutter the view,…making it difficult to place our new seams.…
Such hidden elements can appear…as we create max objects that have the Auto Generate feature…for UV mapping coordinates turned on.…This, then is just a quick catch-all step…that I like to perform simply for the sake of peace of mind.…With that done, I can add an Unwrap UVW modifier,…jump into Edge Sub-Object mode,…and then, select the edge that will eventually be hidden…by the scoop that we will be adding.…
- Gamma and scale
- Setting up a scene
- Creation and shaping
- Using symmetry modifiers
- UV mapping
- Using guide objects
- Detailing and finishing
- Refining a model
- Prepping a model
- Exporting a model
- Fixing issues
- Normal map baking
Skill Level Beginner
Creating a Stylized Wooden Crate Game Assetwith Joel Bradley2h 17m Intermediate
Creating a Environment Kit Design for Gameswith Christian Bradley2h 38m Intermediate
1. Modeling and Unwrapping the Drive Wheel Assembly
2. Building and UV Mapping the Wheels and Tread
3. Creating and Mapping the Head
4. Modeling and UV Mapping the Piston Assembly
5. Final Modeling, FBX Export, and Normal Map Baking
Next steps1m 41s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.