Join Judd Roy for an in-depth discussion in this video Unwrap low-poly rocket pieces, part of Game Art: Asset Texture Pipeline.
- [Voiceover] The next step is to unwrap the rocket assets,…which is used to map the baked information from normals,…as well as be the canvas for all our texture maps to come.…To help out with this process,…I'll use two third party scripts:…PolyUnwrapper, and Easy Peel.…Then we'll move on to creating a light map,…which is necessary to tell Unreal,…how shadows will be displayed on the rocket.…It is not essential that you use the scripts…I will be going over,…but I find them to be easy to use and time-saving.…If you have not downloaded these scripts,…go about unwrapping in your preferred way.…
First I will demonstrate PolyTools' PolyUnwrapper toolset.…I'm gonna grab this piece right here,…I'm gonna make a copy of them over here so we can work.…I'm gonna hit OK for copy.…I'll open up Unwrap,…and we'll be able to see what PolyUnwrapper does.…So I'm gonna Open, drag this over.…This is our UV Editor,…and as you can see, this toolset down here…does not come standard with Max.…PolyUnwrapper comes with Transform,…which gives you different options…
Senior environmental artist Judd Roy reviews the pipeline path for creating a 3D model of any game asset: characters, weapons, props, vehicles, etc. It starts in 3ds Max: high-poly and low-poly modeling, UV unwrapping, and a bit of lightmapping. Within Substance Painter, you'll bake maps from the high-poly asset and texture paint it. The finished textures are imported from Painter into Epic Games' Unreal Engine 4. In Unreal, you'll import the mesh object, create physically based rendering materials, and position them within a proper folder structure.
- Collecting references
- High-poly modeling
- Low-poly modeling
- Applying a lightmap to a mesh
- Exporting models
- Setting up the Unreal project structure
- Baking parameters in Substance Painter
- Adding adjusted maps
- Painting in Substance Painter
- Exporting Painter files
- Applying textures in Unreal