Observe how sub-object selections are topology dependent.
- [Narrator] In the previous movie…I showed you how to delete polygons…based upon a volume selection.…I want to detour into an alternate method for doing this…just to illustrate to you the issues that may arise…from a phenomenon known as topology dependence.…And if you're not careful and you don't quite understand…how this works you may run into trouble…when you change the level of detail of a primitive.…So let's take a look.…I'm going to hard select the polygons at the bottom…of this stand in order to pass them up…to a delete mesh modifier.…
So with that object selected in the modify panel…I've selected the bend modifier at the top.…And then issue a creation command for a new modifier…so click on the pull down list…and this time choose poly select.…And we don't get a selection gizmo in this case.…We just select the faces or other sub objects…we want to pass up the stack.…I'll select by face…and I can orbit around and turn off the grid with G.…
And I can select an individual face…or I can hold down the control key…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
Learn how to get around the 3ds Max interface and customize it to suit your preferences. Discover how to model different objects using splines, polygons, subdivision surfaces, and freeform sculpting. Then, learn to construct hierarchies, add cameras and lights, and animate with keyframes. Author Aaron F. Ross also takes an in-depth look at materials and texture mapping, as well as options for rendering engines such as Arnold and ART.
- Customizing the interface
- Selecting, duplicating, and editing objects
- Modeling with splines
- Parametric modeling with the Modifier Stack
- Polygon and subdivision surface modeling
- Freeform sculpting
- Framing shots with cameras
- Lighting with photometrics and daylight
- Building materials
- Mapping textures
- Linking objects in hierarchies
- Creating and editing keyframes
- Rendering an image sequence
Skill Level Intermediate
3ds Max 2017: Advanced Lightingwith Aaron F. Ross2h 52m Advanced
3ds Max 2017: Advanced Materialswith Aaron F. Ross2h 34m Intermediate
3ds Max 2018 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 10m Beginner
2. 3ds Max Interface
3. Scene Layout
4. Spline Modeling
5. Parametric Modeling with Modifiers
6. Polygon Modeling
7. Subdivision Surface Modeling
8. Freeform Modeling
9. Camera Techniques
12. Mapping Textures
14. Keyframe Animation
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.