Learn how to reference objects into the scene and manage their materials.
- [Instructor] An xref, or external reference,…is a 3ds Max scene file…that is loaded into another 3ds Max scene file.…So you can have nested files that reference one another.…In this course, we'll use xrefs…in order to save disc space.…Because we're just working with materials…and not versioning our models, we can load the same model…into many 3ds Max scene files and not incur…any disc storage penalties for that using xrefs.…I've got a very simple scene here with nothing in it.…
All I've done is set the units and customized unit setup.…I set it to centimeters…and I've set up the grid spacing as well.…I can right-click on any one of the magnets…and go to the home grid tab.…And I've set the grid spacing to ten centimeters.…To see how xrefs and materials interact,…lets load in a couple of xref objects.…Go to the file menu and choose reference.…You have two options here:…xref scene…and xref objects.…
We want xref objects.…The scene option here will not allow you…to change the materials.…Let's choose xref objects.…When the dialogue launches, we can go up to the toolbar…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
- Streamlining material editor workflow
- Managing assets
- Referencing materials with XRefs
- Rendering the Physical Material
- Controlling highlights with Roughness
- Directing reflections and refractions
- Simulating translucency and scattering
- Building a shading network
- Combining and color correcting maps
- Baking maps with Render to Texture
- Procedural mapping
- Using relief maps: bump, normal, and displacement
Skill Level Advanced
3ds Max 2018: Mastering UVW Mappingwith Joel Bradley2h 31m Intermediate
3ds Max 2019 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 39m Intermediate
1. Material Editor Tips and Tricks
2. Hard Surface Materials
3. Ray Tracing Techniques
4. Building Shading Networks
5. Advanced Mapping
Mapping a gradient ramp6m 31s
Next steps1m 21s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.