Join Joel Bradley for an in-depth discussion in this video Understanding the UV space, part of 3ds Max 2018: Mastering UVW Mapping.
- [Narrator] With a basic understanding in hand…of why we need UVW mapping in our 3D applications,…let's try and lock down another basic…and extremely important concept,…which is how UVW space relates to scale.…Well, a good place to start is with the understanding…that UVW coordinates neither deal with nor report…distances or scale in the same manner…as the Cartesian or xyZET system.…There, distances can be measured in 3D space…using specific real world unit types…and intervals, such as feet and inches,…meters and centimeters, and so on.…
UVW coordinates, however are measured and reported…as a width and height percentage…of the surface to which they are applied.…This is because UVW maps make use…of a 0-1 value range, with any value reported…representing a percentage of the overall…size or distance of the map's surface.…So, for example, we could apply…a brick map that is 10 bricks high…to a datum wall or to a skyscraper.…The information contained within the 0-1 space…will merely be used to cover the entire surface,…
Instructor Joel Bradley explains what UVWs are, how they affect textures, and why they are needed. He also reviews the different mapping spaces that are available and how procedural maps are used in texturing. Then he progresses to the hands-on portion of the course, starting with mapping simple shapes and models with the UVW modifier. He also reviews advanced topics, such as unwrapping and editing UVs with the UVW Editor. Finally, he introduces blended box mapping, for when you need to get a model ready for texturing quickly.
- UVW coordinates
- UV space
- Working with the UVW Map modifier and UVW gizmo
- World space vs. object space
- Peel mapping and pelt mapping
- Reshaping UV elements
- Smoothing and relaxing UVs
- Rendering UV layouts
- Blending seams with the Blended Box Map
Skill Level Intermediate
3ds Max 2018 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 10m Beginner
3ds Max: Tips, Tricks & Techniqueswith Aaron F. Ross4h 4m Intermediate
1. UV Mapping Basics
2. UV Mapping Options
3. Unwrap UVW Controls
4. The UVW Editor
5. Blended Box Mapping
Next steps1m 34s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.