Learn about Arnold materials in 3ds Max.
- [Instructor] With 3ds Max 2018, the mental ray renderer … has been replaced with Arnold. … Now Arnold is a full feature production quality renderer. … So let me show you some of the basics … of how to create Arnold materials. … I'm going to go into my compact Material Editor. … And right now I have my renderer set to Scanline. … But if I change it to Arnold watch what happens … to the material slots in the Material Editor. … They show up a little bit shinier. … And that's because 3ds Max … is now using Arnold to render these. … Now Arnold has a number of preset materials … that you can use. … So let's go ahead and select one of these slots … and change the material type. … I have this as Standard so let's go ahead … and change it to an Arnold material. … Now when you have the Arnold renderer set, … this Arnold tab should show up. … And under this we have a number … of different types of surfaces. … We have what are called AOVs. … We have Standard Surfaces which is what we're going to use. …
This course isn't designed to teach you the basics, but to help you refresh your 3ds Max skills and prepare for the exam topics. Once you're finished with the course, you can feel confident taking the 3ds Max Certified Professional exam.
- What is 3ds Max certification?
- Importing data
- Using scenes
- Configuring viewports
- Transforming, duplicating, and cloning objects
- Polygonal modeling
- Editing splines
- Setting up cameras and lighting
- Working with materials
- Rendering scenes
- Animating models
- Rigging characters
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: This course was updated on 11/01/2017. What changed?
A: The following topics were updated: working with camera settings and FOV, understanding standard light types, using the Slate Material Editor, understanding standard materials, understanding Arnold materials, and assigning 3ds Max renderers.
1. Certification Basics
Using the Certiport website1m 27s
2. Fundamental 3ds Max Skills
3. Modeling Tools in 3ds Max
4. Cameras and Lighting
5. Materials and Shading
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.