Join Joel Bradley for an in-depth discussion in this video The UVW Unwrap modifier, part of 3ds Max 2018: Mastering UVW Mapping.
- [Instructor] The only way to really gain control…over how and where our map and coordinates…are placed on a match…would be to flatten out the UV's and then…carefully craft the placements of them.…For this reason, the unwrap UVW modifier can…in many ways be described as the most powerful…and versatile part of 3DS max's UVW mapping tool set.…Before we run through an overview of the options found…on the map modifier,…we will first of all need to go ahead and apply it…to a portion of our robot geometry.…
In this instance, the hand nearest the camera…should do nicely.…And so lets select that.…Come over to the modifier tab,…and if I start to type un in the modifier list,…you can see that we jump straight…to the unwrap UVW modifier.…Meaning, we can just hit the enter key…in order to apply it.…As the geometry already has our test material applied to it,…we straight away see the test map image…pop into place in the view pod.…And we also, in the command panel,…see the variety of tools that this modifier…now makes available to us.…
Instructor Joel Bradley explains what UVWs are, how they affect textures, and why they are needed. He also reviews the different mapping spaces that are available and how procedural maps are used in texturing. Then he progresses to the hands-on portion of the course, starting with mapping simple shapes and models with the UVW modifier. He also reviews advanced topics, such as unwrapping and editing UVs with the UVW Editor. Finally, he introduces blended box mapping, for when you need to get a model ready for texturing quickly.
- UVW coordinates
- UV space
- Working with the UVW Map modifier and UVW gizmo
- World space vs. object space
- Peel mapping and pelt mapping
- Reshaping UV elements
- Smoothing and relaxing UVs
- Rendering UV layouts
- Blending seams with the Blended Box Map
Skill Level Intermediate
3ds Max 2018 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 10m Beginner
3ds Max 2017: Advanced Materialswith Aaron F. Ross2h 34m Intermediate
1. UV Mapping Basics
2. UV Mapping Options
3. Unwrap UVW Controls
4. The UVW Editor
5. Blended Box Mapping
Next steps1m 34s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.