Join Joel Bradley for an in-depth discussion in this video The UVW Map modifier, part 2, part of 3ds Max 2018: Mastering UVW Mapping.
- [Instructor] Having looked at how we apply…a UVW map modifier to our geometry,…and seen some of the mapping types in action,…let's take a look in this video…at some of the extra controls that we can use…to affect how our mapping coordinates are working.…First of all, with our robot body selected,…we have the ability to resize our UVW gizmo…by means of the length, width, and height spinners.…Obviously, as we are currently projecting…in play now mode here,…only two of these parameters are available,…as the height or depth parameter,…as we may prefer to think of it,…has no corresponding axis on a 2D shape.…
If I switch over to box mapping, though,…you can see that we do indeed have the ability…to control that parameter as well.…We can also, on the UVW map modifier,…tile our texture interactively, if we like.…Now, as we do, it may appear as if…we are performing the same operation…as changing the length and width parameters.…But, whilst visually similar,…the two are, in fact, quite different.…When we change the length and width parameters…
Instructor Joel Bradley explains what UVWs are, how they affect textures, and why they are needed. He also reviews the different mapping spaces that are available and how procedural maps are used in texturing. Then he progresses to the hands-on portion of the course, starting with mapping simple shapes and models with the UVW modifier. He also reviews advanced topics, such as unwrapping and editing UVs with the UVW Editor. Finally, he introduces blended box mapping, for when you need to get a model ready for texturing quickly.
- UVW coordinates
- UV space
- Working with the UVW Map modifier and UVW gizmo
- World space vs. object space
- Peel mapping and pelt mapping
- Reshaping UV elements
- Smoothing and relaxing UVs
- Rendering UV layouts
- Blending seams with the Blended Box Map
Skill Level Intermediate
3ds Max 2018 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 10m Beginner
1. UV Mapping Basics
2. UV Mapping Options
3. Unwrap UVW Controls
4. The UVW Editor
5. Blended Box Mapping
Next steps1m 34s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.