Join Joel Bradley for an in-depth discussion in this video The UVW Map modifier, part 1, part of 3ds Max 2018: Mastering UVW Mapping.
- [Instructor] We are going to take a look in this exercise…at a method for applying mapping coordinates…in 3ds Max that actually gives us a number…of different mapping methods.…Now of course, when applying bitmaps to a surface…as a texture, mapping coordinates are essential…if the rendering process is to work correctly.…What we've done on our robot body here, though,…which does still have the test material applied to it,…is for the time being remove its mapping coordinates,…something that we will take a look at how to do…later on in the course.…
If I go ahead and try to take a render then,…we instantly get a warning dialogue telling us that…this object needs to have mapping coordinates applied…if the material is to render correctly.…Now we could override the system here…and go ahead and render anyway,…right clicking the continue button.…But of course we won't see any bitmap in the final render,…as 3ds Max has no way of knowing how it should be displayed…on the geometry surface.…To remedy this we need, with the mesh selected of course,…
Instructor Joel Bradley explains what UVWs are, how they affect textures, and why they are needed. He also reviews the different mapping spaces that are available and how procedural maps are used in texturing. Then he progresses to the hands-on portion of the course, starting with mapping simple shapes and models with the UVW modifier. He also reviews advanced topics, such as unwrapping and editing UVs with the UVW Editor. Finally, he introduces blended box mapping, for when you need to get a model ready for texturing quickly.
- UVW coordinates
- UV space
- Working with the UVW Map modifier and UVW gizmo
- World space vs. object space
- Peel mapping and pelt mapping
- Reshaping UV elements
- Smoothing and relaxing UVs
- Rendering UV layouts
- Blending seams with the Blended Box Map
Skill Level Intermediate
3ds Max 2018 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 10m Beginner
3ds Max 2017: Advanced Materialswith Aaron F. Ross2h 34m Intermediate
1. UV Mapping Basics
2. UV Mapping Options
3. Unwrap UVW Controls
4. The UVW Editor
5. Blended Box Mapping
Next steps1m 34s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.