Create a polygon inside an existing polygon.
- Transforming or manipulating sub-objects or components…is one of the most basic things you can do to any editable…object, such as this editable poly-wall.…In this scene, it's currently isolated,…so if you open the scene and you get a warning message…that objects are isolated, it just means…that I saved it in that state, with isolation turned on.…I've got a door here, a portal for a door,…and I want to create just a very small gap,…a one-millimeter gap all the way around.…
We'll do that in the the Ortho view, it's the easiest way.…And I can do this by moving edges or by moving vertices.…Let's see what happens if we do it…with Edge Sub-Object mode.…I'll select the object, and either in the Modeling ribbon…or the Modify panel, I can go into Edge Sub-Object mode.…And an edge is a line that joins two vertices…and is also a border on a polygon.…And in Edge Sub-Object mode, I can select a single edge…just by clicking it, and once it's selected…I can move it around, and do some real damage to my model.…
I'll undo that with control-Z.…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
Learn how to get around the 3ds Max interface and customize it to suit your preferences. Discover how to model different objects using splines, polygons, subdivision surfaces, and freeform sculpting. Then, learn to construct hierarchies, add cameras and lights, and animate with keyframes. Author Aaron F. Ross also takes an in-depth look at materials and texture mapping, as well as options for rendering engines such as Arnold and ART.
- Customizing the interface
- Selecting, duplicating, and editing objects
- Modeling with splines
- Parametric modeling with the Modifier Stack
- Polygon and subdivision surface modeling
- Freeform sculpting
- Framing shots with cameras
- Lighting with photometrics and daylight
- Building materials
- Mapping textures
- Linking objects in hierarchies
- Creating and editing keyframes
- Rendering an image sequence
Skill Level Appropriate for all
3ds Max 2018 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 10m Beginner
3ds Max: Advanced Lighting (2017)with Aaron F. Ross2h 52m Advanced
3ds Max: Advanced Materials (2017)with Aaron F. Ross2h 34m Intermediate
2. 3ds Max Interface
3. Scene Layout
4. Spline Modeling
5. Parametric Modeling with Modifiers
6. Polygon Modeling
7. Subdivision Surface Modeling
8. Freeform Modeling
9. Camera Techniques
12. Mapping Textures
14. Keyframe Animation
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.