Move and rotate the anchor or pivot, the reference point for transforms.
- [Narrator] Before linking objects together in…a hierarchy there are a number of steps that we need to…take to ensure predictable results,…especially regarding rotations,…and if you skip these steps, then you may encounter some…very difficult situations, such as,…getting to the point of animation and then realizing that…your entire rig is unsuitable for the animation task.…It's very important that you follow these steps, once again,…and the first of them is to establish the position and…orientation of the pivot points of the various objects.…
A pivot point is an anchor around…which an object transforms.…Position, rotation, and scale are calculated…relative to the object's pivot.…On the artist mannequin model, if I click on one of…the objects, I can see the access tripod indicating the…location and orientation on the object's pivot point,…and if I go to a transform tool, such as, move,…we can see that even more clearly.…The pivot point is at the center of the object,…and if I try to rotate the object, then it's not going to…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
Learn how to get around the 3ds Max interface and customize it to suit your preferences. Discover how to model different objects using splines, polygons, subdivision surfaces, and freeform sculpting. Then, learn to construct hierarchies, add cameras and lights, and animate with keyframes. Author Aaron F. Ross also takes an in-depth look at materials and texture mapping, as well as options for rendering engines such as Arnold and ART.
- Customizing the interface
- Selecting, duplicating, and editing objects
- Modeling with splines
- Parametric modeling with the Modifier Stack
- Polygon and subdivision surface modeling
- Freeform sculpting
- Framing shots with cameras
- Lighting with photometrics and daylight
- Building materials
- Mapping textures
- Linking objects in hierarchies
- Creating and editing keyframes
- Rendering an image sequence
Skill Level Intermediate
3ds Max 2017: Advanced Lightingwith Aaron F. Ross2h 52m Advanced
3ds Max 2017: Advanced Materialswith Aaron F. Ross2h 34m Intermediate
3ds Max 2018 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 10m Beginner
2. 3ds Max Interface
3. Scene Layout
4. Spline Modeling
5. Parametric Modeling with Modifiers
6. Polygon Modeling
7. Subdivision Surface Modeling
8. Freeform Modeling
9. Camera Techniques
12. Mapping Textures
14. Keyframe Animation
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.