Learn how to add color to transparency.
- [Instructor] To control the intensity of tinted glass,…we can adjust the transparency color…and, or it's depth, which is an absorption rate.…With focus on the physical camera,…once again, do an ActiveShade render,…and of course, open up the Material Editor.…Here's our glass material that…we previously experimented with.…Let's make it physically accurate.…Once again, go back down into…Advanced Reflectance Parameters, and set it to BY IOR,…and also lock the transparency roughness…so that it will match the reflection roughness,…and now we've got a pretty classic, leaded glass material.…
To add tinting, let's go into the transparency color.…Click on that, and it give it just…a little bit of saturation,…0.2,…and click OK.…We can immediately see that we got some red tinting.…Notice that the color here is a bit more saturated…than the color in our transparency swatch over here.…There's never going to be a one to one correspondence…between this color in the material…and the color of the final rendering.…
You can control the result by adjusting…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
- Streamlining material editor workflow
- Managing assets
- Referencing materials with XRefs
- Rendering the Physical Material
- Controlling highlights with Roughness
- Directing reflections and refractions
- Simulating translucency and scattering
- Building a shading network
- Combining and color correcting maps
- Baking maps with Render to Texture
- Procedural mapping
- Using relief maps: bump, normal, and displacement
Skill Level Advanced
3ds Max 2018: Mastering UVW Mappingwith Joel Bradley2h 31m Intermediate
3ds Max 2019 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 39m Intermediate
1. Material Editor Tips and Tricks
2. Hard Surface Materials
3. Ray Tracing Techniques
4. Building Shading Networks
5. Advanced Mapping
Mapping a gradient ramp6m 31s
Next steps1m 21s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.