Join Joel Bradley for an in-depth discussion in this video The Arrange Elements tool set, part of 3ds Max 2018: Mastering UVW Mapping.
- [Instructor] In this video, we're going to take a look at…some of the organizational tools that we have available…for when it comes time to arrange our UV clusters…inside the zero to one space.…These can be found inside the Arrange Elements rollout.…Before we look at these though,…it is important to note that they can be used on either…all of the UV clusters at once…or on a very specific selection.…If we want to work on all of the elements at once,…it isn't necessary to select them all,…as simply having no selection will ensure that this happens.…
Before we use these controls then,…let's make sure that we are in polygon sub-object mode…and that the element toggle is switched on.…Let's just click in some empty space…to ensure that we have nothing selected.…Coming to our controls,…the first button we see is the Pack Custom option,…and if we click on it, we see all of our clusters…reordered to fit inside the zero to one space.…If we press Ctrl + Z, and drag a marquee selection…over a few clusters, and then press it again,…
Instructor Joel Bradley explains what UVWs are, how they affect textures, and why they are needed. He also reviews the different mapping spaces that are available and how procedural maps are used in texturing. Then he progresses to the hands-on portion of the course, starting with mapping simple shapes and models with the UVW modifier. He also reviews advanced topics, such as unwrapping and editing UVs with the UVW Editor. Finally, he introduces blended box mapping, for when you need to get a model ready for texturing quickly.
- UVW coordinates
- UV space
- Working with the UVW Map modifier and UVW gizmo
- World space vs. object space
- Peel mapping and pelt mapping
- Reshaping UV elements
- Smoothing and relaxing UVs
- Rendering UV layouts
- Blending seams with the Blended Box Map
Skill Level Intermediate
3ds Max 2018 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 10m Beginner
3ds Max 2017: Advanced Materialswith Aaron F. Ross2h 34m Intermediate
1. UV Mapping Basics
2. UV Mapping Options
3. Unwrap UVW Controls
4. The UVW Editor
5. Blended Box Mapping
Next steps1m 34s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.