Learn how to scatter light within an object volume.
- [Instructor] For a translucent material…on a solid 3D object such as a sculpture,…let's use subsurface scattering.…I'll do a rendering with no subsurface scattering first.…Give focus to phys camera 002…and go into the render setup…just to make sure that we're rendering…to active shade mode with the ART renderer,…and it's phys camera 002,…and let's make sure that's locked.…And in the ART renderer tab,…we've got a target quality of 28 decibels.…
Let's do render of phys camera 002.…Once that render's completed,…let's close the render setup dialog…and also clone the rendered frame window…so we can compare this version to other versions.…Okay, here's the clone,…and now open up the material editor…and go into the sculpture physical material,…and so that we can see the effect…of subsurface scattering very clearly,…let's turn the base color down to zero.…We'll have no diffused component now.…
Okay, let's turn up subsurface scattering…to its maximum of one,…and it will start to look pretty strange.…We're getting this very intense blue color,…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
- Streamlining material editor workflow
- Managing assets
- Referencing materials with XRefs
- Rendering the Physical Material
- Controlling highlights with Roughness
- Directing reflections and refractions
- Simulating translucency and scattering
- Building a shading network
- Combining and color correcting maps
- Baking maps with Render to Texture
- Procedural mapping
- Using relief maps: bump, normal, and displacement
Skill Level Advanced
3ds Max 2018: Mastering UVW Mappingwith Joel Bradley2h 31m Intermediate
3ds Max 2019 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 39m Intermediate
1. Material Editor Tips and Tricks
2. Hard Surface Materials
3. Ray Tracing Techniques
4. Building Shading Networks
5. Advanced Mapping
Mapping a gradient ramp6m 31s
Next steps1m 21s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.