Join Joel Bradley for an in-depth discussion in this video The Stitch rollout, part of 3ds Max 2018: Mastering UVW Mapping.
- [Instructor] When it comes to mapping and texturing…more complex pieces of geometry, we will probably find…that after creating scenes and creating our UV clusters…things will ultimately be easier to work with if we are able…to consolidate everything into bigger UV clusters or islands…which is where we find ourselves needing to work with…the Stitching tools that we will take a look at…in this exercise.…Indeed if I go ahead and open up the UV Editor window…and focus in on the UV clusters sitting outside…of the zero to one space, you can perhaps see why…this maybe the case.…
What we have here is an Unwrap created using tools…that we have already worked with in this course.…Now while the mapping of the hand here…isn't really all that bad given that…we don't see any obvious squashing or stretching…of the test map in view port, it is still clear…that the end result could be better.…For instance, we have a number of very noticeable seams here…that will definitely make life difficult…for the artist who has to apply…
Instructor Joel Bradley explains what UVWs are, how they affect textures, and why they are needed. He also reviews the different mapping spaces that are available and how procedural maps are used in texturing. Then he progresses to the hands-on portion of the course, starting with mapping simple shapes and models with the UVW modifier. He also reviews advanced topics, such as unwrapping and editing UVs with the UVW Editor. Finally, he introduces blended box mapping, for when you need to get a model ready for texturing quickly.
- UVW coordinates
- UV space
- Working with the UVW Map modifier and UVW gizmo
- World space vs. object space
- Peel mapping and pelt mapping
- Reshaping UV elements
- Smoothing and relaxing UVs
- Rendering UV layouts
- Blending seams with the Blended Box Map
Skill Level Intermediate
3ds Max 2017: Advanced Materialswith Aaron F. Ross2h 34m Intermediate
3ds Max 2018 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 10m Beginner
1. UV Mapping Basics
2. UV Mapping Options
3. Unwrap UVW Controls
4. The UVW Editor
5. Blended Box Mapping
Next steps1m 34s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.